By Tom Joyce
• A Mount Airy man is facing a felony drug charge after a weekend traffic stop, according to city police department reports. When a 1997 Nissan pickup was pulled over at a location identified as Willow Center late Saturday night, Johnny Ray Gwyn, 45, of 166 Burton St., allegedly was found with methamphetamine, marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Gwyn was charged with three possession violations as a result, with the one pertaining to methamphetamine a felony. He was held in the Surry County Jail under a $2,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in District Court on Aug. 29.
• Jonathan Andrew White, 44, of 263 Monroe Road, was cited for larceny Sunday at Walmart, where he is accused of stealing two youth baseball gloves. White was held in the county jail in lieu of a $1,000 secured bond, with his Surry District Court date set for Sept. 17.
• Glenda Kay George, 37, of 155 Cone Lane, was arrested as a fugitive from justice Saturday. Police encountered George during a traffic stop of a 2000 Ford Expedition for burned-out tag lights on U.S. 52 at Bluemont Road, with further investigation revealing that she was wanted in Patrick County, Va., on seven counts of drug charges. George was confined in the Surry County Jail under a $10,000 secured bond and is to be in District Court on Sept. 16.
• Alfonso Lee Frazier, 28, of 109 Magic Town Lane, turned himself in Friday on a warrant for a felony charge of obtaining property by false pretense which had been filed on July 25 through the Surry County Sheriff’s Office. Frazier was jailed under a $1,000 secured bond, with his District Court appearance set for Sept. 26.
• Police learned during the early morning hours Saturday that two unknown suspects had just broken into a secure area at King’s Garage on West Pine Street where vehicles and auto parts are kept, by crossing a barbed-wire fence. Nothing was listed as missing.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices